Huge Day Out 2015
Main Stage (Baxter Street)
9.00 am – Barbershop (local male choir)
10.15 am – Anthony Macleod (singer/songwriter from Matakana)
11.15 am – Overdrive (Warkworth rock cover band)
12.45 pm – Brendon Thomas and The Vibes (NZ X-Factor hit band from the North Shore)
Garden Bar Stage (Wharf Street)
9.00 am – Open mic for local young talents
10.00 am – Becky Moon (singer/songwriter from Warkworth)
11.00 am – Lance from MoreFM (local celebrity)
11.30 am – Double Trouble (local rock/country duo)
1.00 pm – Becky Moon
2.00 pm – Double Trouble
4.00 pm – Brendon Thomas and The Vibes & The Drive – jam session
Street performances from Auckland Guuggenmusig and Warkworth & Wellsford Pipe Band throughout the day.
Town Wharf (Mahurangi River, Warkworth)
Registration on the day starts at 8.30 am
Briefing is at 8.45 am – Races start at 9.00 am
Registration is open online now – www.canoeshowdown.co.nz
An awesome day of racing to suit all classes and abilities:
- 20 km Premier Showdown: 4 laps of serious races – open to all. Winners crowned King and Queen of the Mahurangi River.
- 10 km Race: 2 laps – ideal for sea kayaks and recreational craft (including SUP).
- 5 km Cruise: 1 lap – for casual paddlers, first timers and kids.
- 2 km Time Trial: If you would like to take part in the Canoe Showdown but don’t have a kayak, thanks to Star Kayaks, you’re able to make that happen. There will be a number of kayaks available on race day and you can compete in a 2 km time trial. Limited spaces.
Limited waterfront parking (access via Percy Street by New World) – please check with road marshalls on the day.
Sponsored by Ross Lynch, Warkworth Vet Farm & Pet Clinic
10 am Warkworth Riverbank (behind Library)
Adults and Children categories under the ‘Flower Power’ theme – entry fee $2.50 per category:
- Colourful canine peagant
- Best decorated lead
- Best ‘6’ legs (4 canine + 2 human)
- Musical sits – music stops, last one out wins
- Sausage on a plate race
- Tennis ball, cone and hoop game
- Best biscuit catcher
All proceeds going to Julie Thompson’s animal rescue, Warkworth
Community groups perform at the i-SITE Carpark at the following times:
11 am – Warkworth Gymnasts
12 pm – Tai Chi Warkworth
1 pm – Rollerskates
2 pm – BMX Riders
Kid’s entertainment is a big part of the Kowhai Festival. Besides the ‘Dog Show’, where kids have their own categories, there are heaps of entertainment possibilities at Baxter Street including the Giant Waterslide at Lucy Moore Park. The slide opens at 12 pm and for $5 kids can have an unlimited number of slides.
There are also many stalls offering toys and kid’s clothes – and there are the Vintage cars at the post office carpark to be inspected.
And remember that the Kowhai Festival Movie Night is on with ‘Minions’ showing on Friday 16 October at 8 pm at Shoesmith Domain.
Most of the food stalls are located at Wharf Street.
The Garden Bar (licensed) is located opposite the Wharf Stage to ensure entertainment throughout the day and is run by the ‘Free Range Wine Company‘. It offers local wines, a trophy winning cider (Forbidden) and a specially brewed festival beer called ‘Kowhai Lager Gold’ by Deep Creek Brewery.
Open from 10 am to 6 pm